Gajar Halwa (Sweetened Carrot Pudding)
Carrot pudding slow-cooked in milk and condensed milk with cardamom powder and ghee. Gluten-free to boost. Vegetables never tasted so good!
“The condensed milk version is a short-cut but the result is a creamy delicious dish!
1 Kg grated carrot
800ml full cream milk (you can also use skim if health conscious)
1 tin condensed milk (you will need approx 375gms of the 395gms tin)
3 tsp ghee
1 tsp Cardamom powder (if you get whole cardamom then take out the seeds and crush them)
50 gms chopped almonds
50 gms raisins
1. Take a heavy bottomed pan and add 2 tsp ghee
2. Add the carrots and cook for approx 5mins on medium flame
3. Add milk and bring to boil, while stirring occasionally
4. Add cardamom powder
5. Reduce flame and let simmer till milk dries up (can take 30 – 40minutes)*
*Shortcut recipe allows for cooking the carrot in a pressure cooker, reduce milk to 500ml.
6. Add condensed milk, mix well and cook on a slow flame till the mixture becomes dry, stirring occasionally.
7. Add 1tsp ghee, raisins - mix well and cook for another 10 minutes
8. Garnish with almonds and serve hot.
Pin it for later here!